Thursday, January 14, 2010

My First week

Today is my first day that I have had time to post something myself without the help of Mom (thanks). Life has been busy since arriving- just settling in and getting used to life here. Ugandans are very friendly and are quick to welcome you to the country.
Some details about life here:
My family that I lived with are Godfrey and Resty and right now two of their kids live with them Maria and Petter who are both in their 20's. Maria is the one that shows me how to do everything and the one that I usually ask if I need help or have a question. The family has a cow, some chickens, and goats.
My day usually starts at 5 am when my host dad gets up and turns on the radio. ( the house’s walls don't go all the way to the roof so you hear everything. kind of like the cabin except the floors are cement and the roof is metal.) Then I doze off until 6 when he comes to say good morning and good bye to Maria and me. I continue to doze until 7 when I get up and ready for school. They don't have indoor plumbing so the toilets are outside. But they are not just any kind of toilets they are "squaty potties" where you squat over a whole that is in the shade of a brick. It’s actually not that bad. They also don’t have shower so I take bath out of a bucket. My host mom makes me tea and gives me corn and bread for breakfast. I head off to school around 8 until 6:30. I’m not allowed to be outside after dark so I have to get home by 7. Then I usually take a bath and hang out with the family until 9 or 10 when we eat dinner then all go to bed. I like it here. It was hard at first but I’m getting setting in and getting the hang of things. I still have many more things to learn- two being Luanda (the language) and how to wash laundry by hand. Yay! I’m not sure how often I will be able to leave post but we shall see.

2 comments:

  1. I love your positive attitude. Please give your host family a warm hello from your home family. We love and miss you, Deb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous Deb! Enjoy every minute and take any oportunity that comes your way.
    Love, Bub

    ReplyDelete